A graduate from Bass School Munich, Sir Paul McCartney’s fame school LIPA and the Royal Northern College Of Music on bass guitar and double bass respectively, Phil joined Universal-signed songwriter Amy Smith’s band in 2005, which set up a move to London and concluded an 11-year stay in the UK. In 2012 Phil also set up a base in Bern, Switzerland, where he runs his own Jazz series at the Mahogany Hall and explores the contemporary aspects of alpine folk music with his band Jütz. The ‘IMPRESSIVE BASSIST‘ (Londonjazz) has performed and recorded extensively in the US, Canada, the UK, Europe and South America since and has shared stages and recording rooms with the following artists
- POPULAR Simply Red (tour support UK&Ireland) Jamie Cullum Jimmy Cliff John Butler KD Lang Morcheeba Kosheen Belleruche Nate James Amy Smith Jon Allen Paddy Milner Julia Biel Fiji Gus MacGregor Jaël Krebs Cevanne Horrocks-Hopayian Manu Delago 7Foot Porok Karpo
- IMPROVISED New York Sound Liberation Swiss Jazz Orchestra Mino Cinelu Adam Holzman Lew Soloff Michael Wolff David Taylor Julian Joseph Steve Waterman Roberto Pla Stuart McCallum Trevor Tomkins Birger Sulsbrück John Turville Hello Truffle Martin Dahanukar New Quartet
- VENUES Royal Albert Hall The Roundhouse London LA Downtown Theatre Knitting Factory New York Paradiso Amsterdam Harpa Reykjavik Blå Oslo Porgy&Bess Vienna Kaufleuten Zürich Grosse Halle Bern Les Docks Lausanne Philharmonie Berlin Tonhalle Zürich
- TV & RADIO BBC2 Live broadcast (SXSW Austin Texas) BBC6’Introducing’ BBC3 France Inter ’Le Foux de Roi’ Radio 2 Netherlands WDR Germany Television Suisse Romandie’Musicomat’ Radio Ö1 ORF ’The Upper Hand with Joe Kelly’ Connecticut, US
- STUDIO with Producers Steven Harris Ian Grimble Marc Ellis Denis Ingoldsby Rune Langhelle Dan Gatreau Andrea Wright Matt Roberts
WRITING & US CHART SUCCESS Phil passionately explores the boundaries between music technology and songwriting. Rough Trade likened his Killerfernandez debut album Feitaboogie to ’Massive Attack, Lamb, Ninja Tune’. His collaboration with Japanese singer Naomi Suzuki, AJ Unity, received rave reviews and resulted in a No 14 spot in the FMQB US Official Radio Chart, whilst maintaining No 1 position on the tastemaker site kingsofspins.com for several weeks.
ACF LONDON From 2009 to 2012 Phil co-launched, curated and hosted the Austrian Cultural Forum London music series Sound Park Austria which stimulates the creative exchange between Austrian and British musicians. The concerts are hosted regularly in London.
12PM SUNDAY JAZZ Since 2015 Phil hosts a concert residency at Mahogany Hall Bern. More details here